Saturday, March 3, 2012
Jan Kennemer, a lifelong Arlington Village resident, well-known local realtor and civic activist,
has been interviewed by folklorists from George Mason University's Columbia Pike Oral History Initiative.
Jan also taught in Arlington, serving at Kenmore, Abingdon, Longbranch, and Oakridge Schools from 1975 to 2004.
Arlington Village was established in 1939. Adjacent to Columbia Pike, it was originally structured as rental neighborhood of over 650 units. It transitioned into a condominium community in 1981. It features solid brick townhomes, and shaded green spaces. Many residents enjoy a local park area called "the ravine." The bench pictured was erected by neighborhood friends in memory and honor of an Arlington Village resident who was killed serving in the war in Afghanistan.
Also pictured is long-time village resident, Matt Abdi.
For more information, visit Arlingtonvillage.com